Amazon

Saturday, January 24, 2009

More Pink

PINK: Flamingo, Cadillac, Poodle, Rose, Mary Kay, In the Pink, Breast Cancer. . .
I love pink and actually look terrific when I wear it. I never thought it could become a nemisis for me. I was always tempted by very bold basic colors: black, white, red, green, navy. I think at 60 years of age, I have entered my pastel stage. Have you ever wondered why older women mostly wear pastels? Pastels reflect light and soften the edges. This is what we try to do with make-up, soften the lines and reflect the light. When I first heard that phrase, I pictured radience so bright that no one could see my face at all. What a strange thought.

Most of my life, I have worn black. Someone told me that it helped hide the pounds. It may do that to some extent, but when the black becomes the size of a pup tent, I think that hiding anything is impossible. Since I was over 100 lbs overweight at one time, I know how difficult it is to hide that kind of problem. Maybe camoflage would have been better, and I like green. Now that the weight is under control (somewhat), I am retired, I get the Big C. Doesn't seem quite fair, but who said life is fair?

Marcus Pittman, a friend from the John Leland Center for Theological Studies sent me this link. It is so awesome. It is an article by John Piper about using cancer to witness for Christ.
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TasteAndSee/ByDate/2006/1776_Dont_Waste_Your_Cancer/
Strange, but it gave me a real sense of peace when I read it. Sometimes we need to remember that God is in control, not us. We just need to turn it over to Him.
This is from a paper that I wrote at Leland.


MY CALL
There are a lot of times that I wonder exactly what my calling is.
I know that my first call is to God. He speaks to me in so many ways.
I have a ministry of “Helps.”
I am the person to call whenever there is something to be done.
I am the one that people call to pray for them or their loved ones.
I am the one who prays for people I see each day, who I feel need help from the Lord.
I am the one that gives the homeless money.
I am the one who gives ladies on corners, waiting for buses, a ride.
I am the one who listens when someone needs a person to talk to.
I am the one who brightens someone’s day with a kind word and a smile.
I am the one who helps stop a child’s tears in a store with words of kindness.
I am the one who drives someone to the doctor when they need it.
I am the one who drives ladies to church for supper and prayer every Wednesday night.
I am the one who comforts someone who has lost a loved one.
I am the one who is there for someone whose loved one is very sick or in surgery.
I am the one at the hospital checking up on members of the church.
I am the one who purchases craft items to encourage people to help others.
I am the one who will be a best friend when there is a need.
I am the one who contributes to missions, near and far.
I am the one who greets guests and members on Sunday.
I am the one who loves all I meet, no matter what they have done.
I am the one who comforts the sinner when they are down.
I am the one who comes up with ideas to help as many people as possible.
I am the one who holds the hand of someone who is dispirited.
I am the one who loves my family with all my heart.
I am the one who speaks to strangers about Christ.
I am the one who asks the dying neighbor, “Do you know the Lord Jesus Christ?”

This may sound very egotistical, but when I consider who the great “I AM” is, I am just called to help others in His place. Everywhere I used the words “I am” was when the Lord was whispering in my ear with his everlasting love for mankind.

The Lord changed my life in so many ways. I actually think of others before myself.
Things are very different in my world, since I came to know Christ as my personal Savior.
He is my all and whatever He has for me to do today, I will..
When He asks that I speak up for those who can’t speak for themselves, I will.
When He asks that I comfort others, I will.
When He asks that I pray for others, I will.
When He asks that I contribute, I will.
When He asks that I heal in His name, I will.
When He asks me to help the poor, I will.
When He asks me to live my life with Him in mind always, I will.
When He asks me to defend the faith, I will.
One of my passions is to become a motivational speaker for women’s groups and write,
And, if it is His will, I will. - Barbara Duke - 26 August 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.