Amazon

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Parliamentary Procedures Conference

     
Some people look at Parliamentary Procedures as boring, but having been involved with these rules for regular meetings certainly make sense. After all, Roberts Rules of order was written using the same principle that is used in the "Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

General Henry M. Robert wrote Roberts Rules of Order in 1876.
"When there is no law, but everyman does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty."  - Henry M. Robert

After my annulment, before I met my husband, I joined an organization called Parents Without Partners. After being a member for a year or two, I met Ray and we decided that I should run for President. Since I had a rudimentary knowledge of parliamentary procedures, I decided I could do it. It was a nasty fight, but I won. Before my administration, the general and board meetings were lasting 4 to 6 hours and it was  ridiculous  to try to stay all night to get so little done. My first meeting lasted 1 hour and 10 minutes. I remained in PWP for 3 years until Ray married me to get me out of there.

I like to think about all the hours of nonsense I saved our members by taking a class. We ended up joining the National Association of Parliamentarians 22 years ago and Ray is the State President for 2013-2015. It has been a great experience over the years, and both of us can hold a meeting just about anywhere. I wasn't interested in too much study, I just like to be in charge, so I was President of our Lions Club 4 times over the past 20 years. Ray is the Parliamentarian for the State of Virginia, District 24D of Lions Clubs International and has been for at least the past 12 years.

So, we have been able to use our knowledge to help others, and become more knowledgeable ourselves.

If you interested in joining NAP or the Lions, I can direct you either way.


God is Good All the Time!
All the time, God is Good! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.