Thursday, August 20, 2009


I was talking about Mother's upcoming visit in my last post. Well, she has come and gone. She arrived on August 11 and we were supposed to go to a meeting on Tuesday, but I just didn't feel like it, so we stayed home. Thursday, we got up and packed our suitcases and the car while we waited for Ray to come home.

He went to a funeral at Peninsula Funeral Home for a friend of his that worked for one of his customers. Andy Starmer, 36, passed away on Sunday, Aug. 9, 2009. He was a lifelong resident of Newport News, where he was a tow truck driver for Superior Towing. He was working on the interstate and a drunk driver hit him while he was loading a car onto his wrecker. Ray was a tow driver when I met him and this was my worst nightmare. Andy left a wife and small son. That little boy will grow up without his father to nurture him. There were over 25 tow trucks in the funeral procession. I hope his wife sues the drunk driver and I hope they get enough to take care of them for a long time to come. Drunk driving is just not an option. And the way I have seen people driving while on the cell phone, their licences should be revoked for a year at least.

When Ray got home, we left for NC. About halfway down, I began to have pain in my right side, near my ribs. The pain just kept getting worse, and by the time we got to the Beach House, it was really bad. I couldn't sit, stand, or lay down without it hurting. Jesse called the Rescue Squad and off we went to East Carolina Medical Center in New Bern NC. They did a CAT Scan and a chest xray. Then they put me in the "penthouse" otherwise known as the oncology ward and there I have been for the past week. It was determined that I had pneumonia.

The nurses are great, my daughter stayed with me most nights and made sure that I comfortable and clean. I never ran a real fever, I just had lots of pain when I breathe. They gave me Dilaudid by IV and Percoset. All the time, I have been on Levaquin, first oral and now by IV. It has been a very difficult week. they diagnosed pneumonia. Then they discoverd my iron levels were extremely low, not to mention my low potassium. I should be back to my normal jolly self in a month or so. They may even let me go home tomorrow. I hope so, but I also hope the pain is gone.

Someone on Twitter knows a pastor in Havelock. He called and talked to Ray Tuesday afternoon. I was asleep. I have received so many #Sweettweets from my Tweeps. It makes me feel so loved and cared for. Actually, they have helped me keep a positive outlook the past few months. The hospital chaplain came by today. He came by the other day and we all witnessed to each other. When we talked today, he said that I emit a light of sweetness. He said he had seen in only a few times in his lifetime. I told him it was the light of Christ in my heart that I shine for everyone. My purpose in this life is to make as many others be with me in Heaven as I can. I have the assurance of the Father as to where I will spend eternity and it is a wonderful feeling.

My pastor, Dale Seeley, called and talked to Ray. He told Ray that I was prayed for in both services on Sunday, and today I got 3 cards mailed to the hospital and 8 cards from the mail at home. Ray had to take my mother to Norfolk to catch her flight this afternoon. He is back sleeping on the recliner chair in my room tonight. I was able to take a shower all by myself this evening. That was wonderful. Very warm water running down your back after a extended bed rest sure feels good.

Got to say good night. Getting very tired. Love, Barbara