Tuesday, May 12, 2009


I started Chemotherapy last Tuesday. This has been one of the most difficult weeks I can remember going through. I don't feel like doing anything and it is difficult to think. Ray has been super. He has been trying to help me but I probably have spoiled him over the years and he just doesn't know what to do. He has been doing the dishes though. Hopefully I will be able to get back into some semblance of normalcy this coming week. I didn't realize how bad this was going to make me feel. Somehow, I guess I thought they would give you the drugs to make you better but include drugs to make you feel better too. What a misconception. This has been my most difficult day so far. I really feel ill. I had the first dose of Chemo on Tuesday and really haven't felt too bad until today. I have been dozing in and out.

I had to take Ray to pick up our car Wednesday and I came back by the Silhouette Mastectomy Boutique at 12715-V Warwick Blvd by across from First Baptist Church. I ordered two new bras, and 2 camesoles, a prostesis, and a few other things. My insurance will pay for the bras, camesoles and prostethesis which is nice because they are much more expensive than I ususlly purchase Ann Wilson is the certified fitter. They are are open from 9am -4pm M-F and the 1st Saturday from 10am-2pm. I am amazed that insurance pays for it. One bra had to be ordered. They have a basket full of hats that people donate to other patients. I got a really neat denim hat and I also bought a "Save the TATAs" Magnet. The ladies there were so nice. I really enjoyed my talk with them. One is going to see if she can get the insurance to purchase more bras. Most insurance companies purchase at least 5 or 6 a year.

The chemo itself wasn't too bad. I took my computer and even watched "House" on HULU. Ray took me and brought me home. It was quiet in there that day. No one but me most of the time. I am not sure how it would have been if there had been a roomful of people. I miss my friends. Hardly anyone calls. I guess they are afraid to wake me up. Even if they did it would be alright. I even had to tell my mother that I was tired of talking yesterday. It certainly helps to pass the time.

Did I tell you Ray wanted my Kindle and told me to order the new Kindle2? It is wonderful. I have been reading in it all week. It is so portable, I am carrying it all around and reading a wonderful set of books by Diana Galbradon. I haven't read many novels over the past few years. The really nice thing is that when I get tired of reading, the Kindle2 reads to me. It is kind of a computer voice, but I am getting used to it. It is kind of restful, even.

People in the Twitterverse have been awesome, they retweet my tweets and are very supportive. Some are monitoring my blog now. If this blog can help one woman to get a mammogram or do a self-exam, then all the hours poured into it will be worth it.I have almost 2200 people in my Twitterverse, and I have only been really trying for 2 weeks. They are all so special.

I just had a phone call from Debbie Hancock. She is finally home from the XanGo convention in Las Vegas, although she never really got a chance to go. She had a heart problem and spent the last 3 weeks in and out of the hospital in Vegas and California. It is so nice to have her back home. She keeps me grounded and real. She fusses like a mother. Especially about the part where I am not supposed to be drinking XanGo during Chemo. Oh well, I cannot go against the doctors advise.

Please tell your girlfriends to do self-exams and have their mammograms on a regular basis. It is so important. I just cannot tell you how difficult this is to go through. But GOD IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME!