Amazon

Friday, June 13, 2014

Who Buys Followers?

This is a no-brainer for me. Do not waste your time. You should never purchase followers. 

Followers that are purchased are bots and if someone checks your account for a job, there are ways to tell if your followers are real people or bots. 

If they find that your 5K followers are mostly paid for, why should they hire you to tweet for them. Bots do not buy goods, go to movies, eat gourmet food, etc. 

I have almost 98K followers and I would be willing to bet that at least 94 percent are real.

I actually unfollow people who have not been online in a couple of months. If they stay away from the Internet two months, then it was a flash in the pan to them. Unless someone turns them on to it again, they probably decided to live their real life, not their online life. 

If you were the CEO of a company trying to get your message out, why would you hire someone that only had about 20 percent real followers. It is better to have 10K real followers than 1M bought followers. 

There are programs that can check your followers to see your percentages. I was hired for a social media advocate job a couple of years ago because even though I had a good reference, they checked my Twitter account. I had 90 percent active followers, 6 percent inactive followers, and 4 percent bots.

I did not know they could check this, but I wanted to follow each one of those people myself. I did not want to have a bunch of sex-crazed perverts following me. I check each one and if there is any sexual innuendo, profanity, or hate speech, I block them. I do not want to see that, and do not want my name associated with them. 

I like nice, kind, positive people and most of my followers are nice, kind, positive people. If they are not, I engage and see if I can help to change their attitude about how Social Media should be handled. If they continue to cause me a problem, I block them. I do not tolerate rudeness. Would you?

One thing I never do is argue with people online. I do not tell them what I think lots of times, I just bow out of the conversation. Life is just too short to be at odds with other people. 

The message is this: Put in the effort to get your own quality followers, you will thank me in the end.


Barbara Duke 
Brand Advocate
Professional Encourager
Thoughts of Pink

GOD IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME!
ALL THE TIME, GOD IS GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.