Amazon

Sunday, May 3, 2009

MAY PINK

I know over a week has past since I wrote anything. I have been working on feeling better, just trying to do a little more each day. We went to Roanoke this weekend and on Friday before we left, a nurse at Riverside Cancer Center called and asked me to come in on Monday at 2 p.m. for training for my chemotherapy. The people at the cancer center are so nice. I was just getting to know the radiation nurses. They are so caring and make you feel so comfortable.
We had a nice time in Roanoke. We stayed at the Holiday Inn for our Virginia State Association of Parliamentarians (VSAP) Convention. Ray is the new President of the Virginia Peninsula Unit (local)and of the Alpha Unit (Registers & Professional). Ray is a Professonal Registered Parliamentarian (PRP). The test to become one has been compared to the CPA Exam. We had such a nice time visiting with friends from other units from all over the state. Ruby Roberts was there. She is a member of the Golden Gavel Unit in Virginia Beach even though she moved to South Carolina a few years ago. She always comes up for the convention. She still looks the same as she did 18 years ago when we met.

Virginia Anderson (PRP) from the Golden Gavel Unit created a website for the VSAP a few years ago and has been the webmaster since. She recently had to go through chemotherapy for cancer and has lost most of her sight. So, Mary Loose-Diviny, President of VSAP has appointed me as the new webmaster for this next year. Looks like I am in the business. Anyway, I can get a hand in with non-profits before I graduate to paid web sites. I really enjoy doing web sites. Anyway, when you say your prayers, say one for Ginny.

At our Lions Club Meeting last week, I was elected President of the Newport News Host Lions Club. This will be my third time. We have some really good members and will be enlisting some more people to join. Our members are diligent and I know they know how to do their jobs, so that should make mine easy. I do know how to run a meeting since I am a parliamentarian also.

Actually, back in the early 90s I joined NAP because I wanted to run for president of Parents Without Partners, Chapter 275 in Newmarket. We went with Paul Moss from Chesapeake. Paul had been the National President of PWP a few years before and belonged to Golden Gavel. I had to drag Ray along but once he got the gist of it, he became much more interested than I did. With Paul's help, when I was elected to my first term, we reduced the meetings from 4 hours to 1 hour, sometimes 1 1/2 hours. It was wonderful and people actually enjoyed coming to the meetings because they were so orderly. I could write stories about my 3 years as president of PWP. Ray tells everyone he had to marry me to get me out of there.

I think I might have to write a book about Twitter. It is really neet. If you just read what people say, you get a lot of positive affirmations and quotes. If you follow the links, you can discover some of the most interesting information. I think sometimes I am an infophile, I just love learning new things. I seem to want to know about everything and nothing is boring. It is kind of neat, but sometimes it is hard to focus. I have so many ideas going around in my head. I told Mary Loose-Diviny that I am the idea person and she said that was great and every board needs one. I come up with really good ideas, but other people are much better at following through than I am. Like I said, focus is not my strong point. I really have to work on it.

Something else, I think I should let people know that I am aware that I tend to cut people off when they are talking. I don't mean to, but as I said, my mind is running ninty to nothing, and focus is hard. I do apologize to anyone I might have cut off. I really love people and I promise to work on my listening skills. Maybe I should carry a notebook to jot down my thought so I don't forget them by the time the other person gets done talking. LOL!

Ray promised to teach Sunday Bible Study next Sunday. He forgot that it is Mother's Day and we won't be able to go down to NC. I am so disappointed. I really wanted to go. Oh, well, I guess Rhonda, Jesse, and the twins can have their Mother's Day celebration without me this year. Maybe we will go down the next weekend.

There is something that happened this past week that really got to me. Charlie Nichols, a long time member of our church went to be with the Lord. Last Sunday morning he got up and got ready for church. He told his wife Nancy that "It sure is a beautiful day to worship the Lord!" soon after, he had a massive stroke and was goneby the time they got him to the hospital. Charlie Nichols was an awesome Christian. He walked the walk and talked the talk. He went out numerous times during the week with his friend, Andy Hughes. They visited people in the hospital, in nursing homes, and in their homes. No matter what you started talking to Charlie about, he would eventually turn the subject to Christ. His funeral was a wonderful celebration of his life and his faith. Reverend Dennis Adams sang 3 hymns that Charlie loved, Reverend Lindsey Poteet from the Rescue Mission did the eulogy, Charlie's son spoke for his sister and brother about how Charlie raised them to be Christians. Reverend Tag Kilgore, Interim Pastor, at First Baptist did the sermon.

The church was packed with people there to support the family. Ray and I didn't get to go to the viewing on Tuesday. Ray was attending the Va Baptist meeting at Temple Baptist Church and I wasn't feeling well enough to drive. I was told Wednesday that there were so many people there that some people had to wait in line for over an hour and a half to speak to the family. It was a fitting tribute for a truly amazing Christian who loved his Lord with all his heart and soul. Save us a place Charlie-we love you.

Daily thoughts from Heartlight:

VERSE: But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,... -- 1 Peter 3:15

THOUGHT: How do we effectively share our faith, especially in situations hostile to faith? First, we consciously submit our hearts to Christ as Lord. Second, we prepare a presentation of faith that focuses on the hope we have in Jesus. Finally, when we share our reason for hope, we do it with respect, gently sharing our faith with others. Of course we would never have an opportunity to share our faith if we don't live a life of faith that makes an impact on those around us.

PRAYER: Holy God and loving Father, please use my influence and the quality of my life to bring others to Jesus. Please give me wisdom as I seek to bring the following friends to Christ: (Name them personally!) .. May my words and actions lead them closer to you and show them my respect and love. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Love to you all and thank you for all your prayers. Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.